Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mega Man Recommendations

As I learned from Siskel and Ebert, the best rating system isn't giving a game a number of stars or giving it a rating out of 10 or something like you see on so many websites and magazines. It's simply best to simply recommend or not recommend the game. Thumbs up or Thumbs Down. Here now is a list of my personal recommendations with a simple one sentence justification.

My criteria for getting into the Thumbs Up category was quite strict, and even a number of games I do like in the series I gave a Thumbs down on my recommendation because I just don't think they do enough for the franchise. Really, my in depth reviews of these games are too nice if anything. If you really like the franchise, just about all of these games are worth checking out with some small exceptions, but if you're just an average gamer looking for a good time, these are the games I recommend you try and get your hands on.

There are a number of games you won't see on this list, such as the LCD and Cell Phone games. I cut out a chunk of games I didn't see as significant to add to the list.

Thumbs Up

Classic Series

  • Mega Man (NES): The start of the series and everything builds off of it. A piece of gaming history.
  • Mega Man 2 (NES): The height of Mega Man's career as a gaming icon. It stands up well to any game still in this day and age.
  • Mega Man IV (Game Boy): This game adds so many nice touches and interesting levels to the series that it's not worth missing it.
  • Mega Man V (Game Boy): An entirely original entry into the Game Boy series and the last of the true classic era of Mega Man's gaming life. It's a fantastic title.
  • Rockman & Forte (Super Famicom): Brutally difficult but wildly varied. Rockman and Forte is frustrating but incredibly fun.
  • Super Adventure Rockman (Playstation, Sega Saturn): Although very simple in its gaming, SAR is enjoyable for its presentation overall. The actual game portions are surprisingly fun as well.
  • Mega Man Powered Up (PSP): It plays well, and from a lot of different angles. There's so much to do you'll always want to take it with you where ever you go.
  • Mega Man 9 (WiiWare, PSN, Xbox Live Arcade): A resurgence of classic gameplay with modern day game design theory. Do not miss out on this one.

X Series


Legends Series


Battle Network Series


Zero Series


ZX Series

  • Mega Man ZX (DS): The fast paced challenge of the Zero series combined with a fantastic looking and colorful world with amazing music.

Star Force Series


Thumbs Down

Classic Series


X Series


Legends Series


Battle Network Series



Zero Series


ZX Series


Star Force Series

  • Star Force 2 (DS): Not enough different from Star Force 1 and the story as a whole isn't enough to make it a must own.

That's my recommendation list, and with it this project has a proper end. I had a lot of fun doing it and learned a lot about the franchise that I didn't know before. There were a lot of times that got quite tedious with writing the articles but over all I enjoyed it quite well. As new Mega Man games come up, I'll try to stay on top of them, but I'm not the type of person that buys a new game right away either. God forbid if Legends 3 comes out as I don't have a PS3 or Xbox 360 at the moment. I might have a bonus article or two coming up, but officially I'm finished. I have an idea of what I want to do next, but first I'm going to go back to each article and clean them up a bit, add a few more links, do some better proof reading and the like.

No comments:

Post a Comment