Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Future of ZX

There hasn't been much news on ZX in a while. There was a rumor floating around for awhile that a third game was going to be released after Star Force 2 called ZX Extremus, but this turned out to be nothing more than that, a rumor. Instead of a ZX3 we got a Mega Man 9... which when you think about it is actually a nice trade so I can't complain.

Still it's been a couple of years and even Mega Man 9 wasn't in development all that long. Undoubtedly Inti Creates will be making more Mega Man games soon and the ZX series isn't in the same boat Legends 3 is. That said, with Inti Creates asserting the most control over the 2d games it's hard to say if ZX won't get benched because of the other series. Capcom has hinted some creative interests in Mega Man 10 and the fans have been pushing for X9 as well and Capcom isn't exactly ignoring them either. Inti Creates will more than likely head up either of these projects, and the possibility is very strong that if Legends 3 ever does get made it'll be an Inti project. ZX is interesting but the following behind the other games is just bigger.

I don't think ZX is dead though. Advent ends on a cliff hanger of sorts and it's likely the ideas for ZX3 have already been floating around, the project just needs to get rolling. When that happens I expect to see the series continue to tie into Legends and I suspect we'll see more of Prometheus and Pandora. Vent and Aile will probably show up in some form or another as well but I suspect that Inti will be trying to tie in another set of protagonists like they did with Advent. I also think the series will jump ahead another few years as Advent gives me the impression that ZX wants to span quite a large amount of time with quite a number of characters. Also if Inti gets to create X9, I think we'll know for sure where Axl falls into this whole thing as well.

If other Mega Man series continue to distract Inti Creates then we may not see another sequel for quite some time but my gut tells me that ZX is going to try and wrap itself up like the Zero series did and probably before a new hand held console is made but there's no way to no for sure at this point. I don't think the next game will be a ZX game, but I think we'll have a better idea of where this series is going by this time next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment