Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Quick Note About My Second Favorite Franchise

Unlike Mega Man which I sometimes used ridiculous circular logic to convince myself I enjoy the poor games in the series... I mostly detest the new Sonic games, and I'm not alone on that. His transition into 3D hasn't been going well for awhile, but some of his later 2D games are pretty good like Sonic Rush and Sonic Advance.

Sonic seems to be taken a cue from Capcom and the hundreds of Indie games coming up on Wii-ware, XBLA, PSN and Steam, and is learning that gamers will accept more old school styled games.

Announced just the other day is Project Needlemouse, a new HD Sonic title in 2D.

I wouldn't mind this at all, and many fans of the series were hoping Sega might consider this after Mega Man went this route. I have mixed feelings. Sega could really run with this game (no pun intended) and it could potentially be the best Sonic game yet. On the other hand, Sega has made so many really dumb decisions with the Sonic franchise over the years that I think some a cautious attitude is warranted. I think they'll pull it off though.

That said, I really hope this retro trend in the gaming world lately doesn't get out of hand. Capcom has already stated there is "creative interest" in continuing Mega Man 10 in 8-bit style as well. I really think Mega Man 9 was a one time deal, a tribute if you will, but Mega Man 10 in the same style will really milk it... as if Mega Man wasn't already a cash cow.

I'm not even saying that such a game would be bad, I just hate to see the game industry quit innovating by playing it safe and always going with what worked in the past. If you've seen anything from these reviews I've been doing lately it's that Capcom got too comfortable with the NES incarnation of Mega Man and that did affect them a bit when the SNES came out. Retro will only last so long and innovation is needed to push these series further. The gaming industry is already pushing the lines of sequelitis and remakes that the film industry has been in for a long time.

That said, here's hoping Project Needlemouse kicks ass!

No comments:

Post a Comment