Saturday, July 23, 2011

Capcom is gamefaqs polls most hated gaming company in a matter of days

Although Blizzard is just barely behind, Capcom has pretty much gone from one of the most well loved gaming publishers to the most hated virtually overnight.

When Mega Man Universe was canceled, I was disappointed.  It was okay though, Capcom's word was that the game wasn't shipping up too well, and the few that did play the game said the controls needed more polish.  All well, better to not release a Mega Man game than to feed us a cruddy one (I'm looking at YOU X7!).

Then Legends was canceled.  Incredibly irritating, and many fans were understandably frustrated.  The backlash was predictable, because saying the game doesn't meet your criteria, when the complete wave of arbitrary bullshit that does is beyond comprehension doesn't exactly fly well.  But THEN the European Cacpom twitter has the gall to tell fans it's their fault the game didn't get made.



Capcom, you just FUCKED UP.  I have never seen a bit of worse PR in my life, than actively provoking and taunting long time fans like Capcom has done over this week.  You realize these people want to, and do, actively shower your company with money right?

Then you lie, and say the character who was voted highest in both the North American and Japanese polls (Mega Man X) didn't receive enough fan support to be put into Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, a game which you also lied about saying it had to be on disk because of the tsunami affecting development.  I'm a cautious guy, and I don't accuse people of lying often, but the fucking proof in on your OWN WEBSITE.

The response to this whole thing has been pretty amazing if you ask me, and trust me when I say that I'm usually the last guy to jump on fan bandwagons.  Just because I often think fans don't know what they want too much doesn't mean I think a company should treat them with disdain or shit on them like this.  This publisher vs consumer mentality HAS to end!  Capcom, people hate you about four times as much as Sony, and Sony lost millions of peoples personal information!  What does it say, when SONY comes up smelling more like roses than your PR machine Capcom?

So how do you fix this?

Selling the Mega Man franchise isn't going to happen.  Despite worries that Mega Man is dead, I can assure you his name will live on in hundreds of shitty cell phone games in japan for decades to come.

First thing you need to do is get someone up on the executive level the fans can see as "their guy."  The one who is going to bat for them.  For the longest time, it was Inafune, and look how you ran him out of the company!  Shift things around, kill off a few execs, and promote someone the fans will trust.  I recommend Eguchi, the currently strongest voice for the Mega Man franchise.

Secondly, you've killed all trust with making Legends 3.  Licenses it out.  The CEO of the developer of Asura's Wrath, your next new IP, has expressed interest in it.  He's one avenue.  The second is Inafune and Comcept.  While I think Inafune is well within his rights to tell you to fuck off after he ALREADY had offered to continue working on Legends 3, if you give the guy everything he wants and needs (creative control, resources, etc), I think Inafune will be willing to negotiate on the fans behalf.

If those two options don't pan out, you better go to Inti Creates with a truckload of cash and developers.  Let's face it, you can't just up and restart this project in house anymore.

It's true that you could just ignore this whole thing.  Eventually Legends 3 will die down to its pre-announced levels.  Just don't expect those burned fans to come back.

I don't normally do this myself, but I'm been really impressed with the support the game has given, so on the left I've put up a link to the 100,000 Strong for Bringing Back Mega Man Legends 3 facebook page.  I don't even care much for Legends, but let Capcom know how angry you are!

UPDATE:  Capcom has managed to fall under to second place by less than a percent.  However, at the time of this writing, it was indeed the most hated company according to the gamefaqs poll.

3 comments:

  1. hi cycomatix you won t publish anymore? sorry for my english

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I'm super busy with work right now, and have been for a while. I had some ideas for new projects and or different series to cover for a while now, but if I start them, I'd really like to dedicate myself to put more quality into my posts than I have in the past, and I just don't have enough hours in the day to meet that quality I'd like to aspire to.

    I get an email every time a comment is posted, so if there is any particular game or post you'd like to discuss, feel free to leave a comment and I will get to it eventually.

    I may return to blogging or some new website idea in the far future, but right now I have too many hurdles in financially and career-wise to continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok i understand thanks for anwsering my question :)

      Delete