Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Mega Man Universe Trailer

Alright, so we got our first look at the new Mega Man Universe trailer. I think it's fair to be disappointed by the footage, and even skeptical of the upcoming title, and that's because what's in the trailer isn't innovation, it's just homage.

Let's get a few things straight. There's no way I could possibly argue that I'm not an over-interested fan in the series, to put it lightly. When the game comes out, I won't hesitate to buy it and play it no matter how bad it is. I've got a Mega Man collection that nearly includes every US released game, and at this point, what difference is $10-$50 going to make for a new one? I don't believe there's any special kind of integrity or wholesomeness that comes with sticking to the series, any more than being some sort of intellectual connoisseur that avoids mediocre to bad games. It's a stupid hobby, and I feel like continuing it because I get a satisfaction out of it, and more power to the people who skip this game if it turns out to be a big pile of rehashed shit that it's leading us to believe so far.

So Mega Man stars in another 2D platformer, but this time with modern ugly graphics, and extra playable characters that nobody really asked for. The trailer hovers around Mega Man 2 styled enemies and levels, and I get the impression this is the game Inafune wants to live up to Mega Man 2. To put it bluntly, I believe Inafune is jerking off to a fan fest of his Magum Opus.

I'd like to quote Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation, who I believe sums up my thoughts exactly.

Fans create sequels that hold up the predecessors as something to live up to, rather than something to improve upon. And that's not the right mindset to take. If you're not going to try to be better, what's the point? To give something to all the other fans? They won't appreciate it. The more fan-oriented an installment becomes, the more holes they find to pick in it. Some kind of Un-fan-ny Valley effect, perhaps. But give it to someone who isn't a fan and they'll force it to change, and evolve. The fans will like it even less, but frankly, fuck 'em.
Inafune is looking more and more like a fan of his own work everyday, and while there's still a chance something special is going to come out of this, the trailer doesn't get me excited. So the game looks like Mega Man 2... so what? I have Mega Man 2 and have played it already. So the game lets you play as Ryu and Arthur. So what? I didn't buy Street Fighter IV or Super Ghouls n Ghost because I didn't give two shits about playing either of those games, give me some better reasons to play these characters besides a big Capcom circle jerk.

We're reaching another stagnating point of Mega Man's career, and that frankly just sucks. Why can't we have a real new innovative Mega Man game? Why can't we have brand new graphics, an amazing new innovative gameplay, and maybe even an interesting story? Why isn't Mega Man coming out with new games like Mario Galaxy, or Metroid Prime, or other games that try to push the series forward? Even Sonic the Hedgehog, with his terrible array of shitty games is at least trying different things!

The biggest step towards anything different this series ever took was with Battle Network and Star Force, and now we've been reduced to re-releasing those games while we go re-hash a 22 year old formula to play it safe. Is this game going to suck? It's still to early to say, but which trailer excites you more?

This gameplay trailer of the same old shit




or this fully animated cutscene trailer of somewhere the series has never been?

I know next to nothing about either of these games, but I know my interest is at least sparked with Rockman Online.

No comments:

Post a Comment